Saturday 6 September 2014

Beetroot & Beef Curry

I adore beetroot. Growing up I could sit and eat a whole jar of pickled beetroot to myself. When had salads during the summer I would have to eat the beetroot last because I loved it so much.
As I have gotten older my beetroot taste buds have expanded, there is rarely a time now where you wont find a pack of vacuum packed beetroot in the vegetable drawer of my fridge. I love it in salad with rocket & goats cheese. I love it roasted along side my Sunday roast and I have even made chocolate beetroot cake, it was so good and definitely a post for another day!
So when I was doing my grocery shopping earlier this week, you can imagine the excitement that came over me when I spotted fresh beetroot on the shelf next to the turnips. Oh yes my friends beetroot season is here!



Enjoying a relaxed saturday at home I decided to see if there was anything a bit different I could do with my bunch of beetroot. A little google search and I found that beetroot Stews and curries were a thing. Beetroot Curry? Well that sounded interesting!



Beetroot & beef Curry

Serves 4

6Pro Points per portion.
Free on F&H

750g Beetroot
2 onions
450g Lean Diced Beef
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
1tsp Ground Ginger
2 tsp Chilli Powder
6 Cardamon Pods
2 tsp Sweet Freedom Syrup
2 tsp Cumin Seed
1/2 tbsp Ground Coriander
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
Ground Pepper
4 tsp Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
2 Beef Stock Cubes
2 tsp Garam Masala




Place the whole beetroots (or half if very large) in a pot of boiling water and bring to the boil,
reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20/30 minutes until tender.
Wearing gloves, run the beetroot under cold water and rub the skin off with your fingers.
Dice the beetroot into 1" cubes and let cool, set aside 2 3rds of the beetroot.
Place the remaining 3rd into a food processor with the tomato puree, garlic, ginger, chilli powder, cardamon pods, syrup, cumin, coriander, cloves & ground pepper, blend into a paste.
Preheat the oven to 150.
Heat the oil in the bottom of casserole dish.
Fry the beef until just brown and remove the beef from the pot.
Lower the heat & add the onions to the pot and fry until softened,
then add the paste and fry for 5 minutes.
return the beef to the pot along with 2 beef stock cubes and enough boiling water to just cover the beef.
Bring to the boil, then place the lid on and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
After 2 hours remove the lid and bake for another 30 minutes.
Place the pot back on the hob, add the remaining 2 3rds of beetroot and hear through,

Serve over brown rice and enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment