Thursday 25 April 2013

Home made lasagna 13pro points per portion

Tonight dinner will be homemade lasagna, I haven't had lasagne in the 6 weeks that I have been doing weight watchers, i'm not avoiding it I just never thought to cook it. I decided to make it without really considering weight watchers to be honest, most of the homemade dinners that I was making before weight watchers are weight watchers friendly. This morning i sat down to work out the points so that i knew home many to leave for dinner. First I point the whole dish then I divide those points by how many portions it makes. During this process I got a bit concerned, I thought it was going to be really high in points, but if I only use 100g low fat cheddar instead of 200g and divide it into six portions then thats 13pro points a portion which I think is good. I am using store bought white lasagna sauce for the top layer but I am making the tomato one myself. I will have to figure out how to make the white one before I make my next one, it would probably bring the pro points down a bit. im going to share the recipe here for anyone who would like to try it themselves. (note that pp stands for pro points)


I use a large pyrex dish (9.5'' x 13'') to make my lasagna in, its big and feeds 6 people. Myself and Will eat it for two days and freeze the rest.

500g lean round steak mince - 24pp
2/3 tins of chopped tomatoes - 0pp  (decide how many tins to use based on how saucy you like yours)
2 chopped onions  - 0pp
2 cloves chopped garlic - 0pp
2 peppers chopped - 0pp
mushrooms chopped  - 0pp
1 tbsp tomato puree - 0pp
less than a tablespoon dried basil - 0pp
1 box dry lasagna sheets (250g) - 25pp
White lasagna sauce from jar 455g - 20pp  (mine was the Supervalu own brand one)
100g low low cheddar cheese block grated - 8pp

preheat oven to 200oc (fan assisted)

Chop all the beg into small pieces. spray a heavy bottom sauce pan with low calorie cooking spray and heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and fry for one minute then add the minced beef and cook until brown. Add the rest of the chopped vegetables and fry for one minute, then add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and dried herbs and let simmer. (not sure exactly how long I let it simmer, 20 - 30 mins, my oven takes ages to preheat so usually leave it simmer until the oven is ready). If the sauce is too bitter to tase you could add a tsp of sugar or a tbsp of tomato ketchup (dont forget to include the points)

Soak the lasagna sheets in some boiling water for a minute ( you dont have to do this but I think it helps them to be nice and soft when the lasagna is done.)

put a layer of the tomato sauce into the lasagna dish and cover with half of the lasagna sheets, add another layer of tomato sauce and cover with the other half of the lasagna sheets, top it off with a layer of white sauce and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, remove and add the grated cheese and cook for a further 10 minutes.

Serve with a salad, garlic bread or oven fries (depending on how many pps you want to use)

No comments:

Post a Comment