Sunday 21 April 2013

Hooked on Roller derby

Yesterday, April 20th, I went to watch my first roller derby bout with my friend Mandi, it was a double header with the Limerick Roller Girls playing Newcastle at 4pm followed by the Cork City Firebirds playing Newcastle at 6.30pm. I have been becoming increasingly interested in roller derby over the few months. Starting after my friend told me she had tried out for the Galway City She Devils, I began searching roller derby on google and you tube to find out more. I decided that I would like to give it a try, but put off doing anything about it for a while because I was nervous. After discovering that I had just missed out on an open day in February I was disappointed and after a chat with my sister about facing the fear and going to try out I was delighted when I recently saw an advertisement for another open day with the Cork City Firebirds coming up next weekend, sunday 28th. I new i really wanted to go and when i got a text from Mandi saying she wanted to go, that was that. with each other for support we had no excuses to put it off anymore. We decided to go and see roller derby in action this weekend so we could get a better understanding of it and see if we thought it really was for us. After 10 minutes of watching the first bout I was enthralled and by the end of the second bout I was hooked on derby, I can not wait to go and try out next weekend. I really hope I enjoy playing as much as I enjoyed watching, but hey if it turns out its not for me, the Cork City Firebirds have definitely gained another huge fan.

So you may be wondering how this fits into a blog about loosing weight through weight watchers, well derby is a fast paced full contact sport and a great way to get fit. which is all very positive if your trying to loose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment